Debugging Tips?

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM

We've run into another problem related to lazy loading and Obtics, but we're having trouble finding it.  We can see the PropertyChanged firing in the PropertyTransformer and it creates the message.  Any tips on somehow following this message to know where the chain is breaking down?

Are there any generally useful debugging techniques for following the values through transformations?

The code gets hard to understand when it goes into the message system, so any guiding suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Turns out the problem had nothing to do with Obtics, but we thought it did because Obtics doesn't fire notification events when you don't reread the property.

In any case, the problem turned out to be WPF binding to the proxy objects.  The same problem we experienced earlier with Obtics and the object reference.  I'll update the other thread with information in case anyone is looking.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM

It's a pain in the behind sometimes when you need to debug a transformation pipeline. One day I hope it will be possible to map pipeline elements to parts of lambda expressions where they originate from. This would be a hughe help in debugging.

The best trategy I found sofar is unit testing. You may occasionally still need to get your hands dirty but those times will get quite rare. Most problems with obtics to my experience come from things not being 'well-behaved'. Here is some need to read if you are wondering what I'm writing about: http://obtics.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Well-behaved